Welcome to Steampunkbooks.net
Steampunkbooks.net is a blog that gives hackneyed steampunk book reviews and lists. Steampunk is a sub genre of science fiction that had it’s genesis in the early 1980’s. Steampunkbooks.net is focused on books written with steampunk genre themes and technology and not the steampunk fashion movement. There is no universal definition of steampunk and many books reviewed on steampunkbooks.net will differ in setting, technology and level of fantasy.
What is a Steampunk Book or Novel?
Generally Steampunk novels include elements of both fantasy and sci fiction, based in either a literal or alluded to Victorian World. The bulk of steampunk alternative history is set in late 1800’s Victorian Era London while the rest generally are set in post civil war America or a completely invented world.
There are Two main sub categories of Steampunk literature these include historic steampunk ( alternate history) and Steampunk Fantasy.
What is Historic Steampunk / Alternate History?
- Historic Steampunk is what most people will think of when they think of steampunk and makes up the the bulk steampunk literature. These stories are generally set in late 1800’s Victorian time( the period when Victoria was Queen of England). These books contain elements of alternate history and will vary from the actually depending on the novel. The best example of Steampunk Alternate History is The Difference Engine. The story explores the idea of failed 1800’s inventor Charles Baggage actually succeeding in creating what is essentially an analog computer and the consequences to history as a result.
What is Steampunk Fantasy
- Steampunk Fantasy is set in fictitious world that variably differs from that of earth. These created worlds can be set in on different planets or greatly modified earth. The setting usually incorporates elements of victorian London. The rules generally include a world that is powered bySteam powered technology. And the morals and culture are very Victorian
Buy Steampunk Books Online
Steampunk Books is working towards being the best place to buy steampunk books online. We search local stores to find the best steampunk books at solid prices. So of the best steampunk novels rare and are really collectors pieces.
Steampunk Books Articles
For whatever reason steampunk novels don't make good movies or at least haven't thus far. The best example of this would be the Golden Compass which was a box office flop. The Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downy Jr could be considered a moderate success though...
The extremely boring not so steampunk All Men of Genius Now this articles aim is not to criticize but to give fair warning to potential steampunk book consumers. All Men of Genius is a terrible book. It's written like a Shakespeare comedic play which might not be...
The Scar Armada vs. New Crobuzon By some unseen power The Mighty New Crobuzon Navy has tracked down the floating pirate city of Armada. The ensuing naval Battle is on an epic scale with ships, airships cannons, golems and a vampire cleanup party is highly imaginative....
The Scar pits the wits of a spy scoundrel Silas Fennec aka Simon Fench vs the strategic warrior Uther Doul. While the protagonist of The Scar is Bellis Coldwin the major conflict of the story is betweeen Doul and Fennec. Coldwin is used at times as an agent on behalf...
It has been several years since the release of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and it's subsequent Film. The book was a landmark historical fantasy novel that was original and fun. It is in the spirit of steampunk and belongs in the conversation while lacking having no...
The Court of The Air It's been a decade since the Court of the Air first appeared. It has seemingly gone unnoticed except for a few hardcore fans. The first book in the Jackelian Series and is arguably the best of the series. It has a Star Wars meets the Wizard of Oz...
This Census Taker could be considered because of its relatively short length is somewhere between a short story and novel that tells the story of a boy and his family on a giant hill. The main character, a boy not named, narrates the story of his murderous father and...
There are really two different sub genre of steampunk literature. Alternate History There is the alternate history steampunk sub genre that is set in a historically based world(usually Victorian London). The technology or historical events have for some reason veered...
K.W. Jeter's Infernal Devices a Classic Steampunk Novel worth reading. Having been Published in the early 1980's it is was on of the earliest works of steampunk and has a lot of the themes that would connect steampunk works. The author Jeter is considered a founding...
Deepgate Deepgate (Scar Night) Deepgate is a steampunk city that hangs on chains above a seemingly bottomless pit. The City is criss crossed with Chains and is a wonderful setting for a steampunk showdown. Deepgate holds at it's center a monastery that houses the last...
A city in the desert hangs by chains over a deep hole, the ancient city of Deepgate is home to a young angel kept locked away in a monastery. The last of his line, Dill is descended from legendary Battle-archons who once defended the city. Forbidden to fly and...
Agatha H and the Airship City is an illustrated comic made into a novel. The story has a very anime feel ( Full Metal Alchemist meets The Last Exile). Most surprising is the minimal amount true action that takes place in what should be an action adventure novel. It...
1. Carnival - Scar Night "Her Name is Carnival" Carnival is a scarred angel who stalks the city of Deepgate once a month searching for blood . Though she may seem a dark villain, the reader will find as the Deepgate Codex trilogy progresses Carnival grosw into a God...
Jumping off into the Steampunk World These are books that aren't overly difficult to follow and are a good sample of what steampunk is all about. They all rank among the best if not the very best of the genre. The Court of The Air. Stephen Hunt A wonderful and...
The Falling Machine if, remembered correctly, (it has been a while since this blogger read it) is in the style of a steampunk mystery adventure meets the X-Men. Society of Steam is comic book super heros put in a steampunk world. Not unlike elements from Stephen...
The GoodReads Best Steampunk Books list keeps growing but is a flawed list. It is a list constructed by the public and has some head scratches near the top. The list be an excellent place for finding new Steampunk books and giving some gauge of their quality ....
Despite being a young adult fiction novel Railsea is a very interesting steampunkish novel. Railsea is Imaginative and it's story brings sufficient novelty to be worth a read. It is written by China Mieville most likely the greatest author since Mark Twain. The world...
A Red Sun Also Rises is a pleasantly original steampunk book by Mark Hodder. A Red Suns is a break from Hodder's flagship the now growing Burton and Swinburne Series that explores a completely new world but carries with it the traditional Victorian based characters ....
- The Scar 99/100 – Click Here For Lowest Price for The Scar on eBay –
- Perdido Street Station 95/100 -Click Here for Perdido Street at the Lowest Price on eBay –
- The Court of The Air 91/100 – Click Here for The Lowest Online Price for The Court of the Air on eBay –
- The Strange Affair of Springheeled Jack 90/100 The Lowest eBay on the web for The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack
- Iron Council 90/100The Lowest Price for Iron Council on eBay
- Scar Night 89/100The Lowest Price on eBay
- The Kingdom Beyond The Waves 89/100 – The Lowest Price on eBay –
- A Red Sun Also Rise The Lowest Price on eBay 88/100
- BoneshakerThe Lowest Price on eBay 86/100
- Retribution FallsThe Lowest Price on eBay 84/100
- The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man 84/100
- The Half Made World 84/100
- Darwinia 83/100
- Secrets of the Fire Sea 82/100
- Expedition To The Mountains of the Moon 82/100
- Iron Angel 80/100
- The Bookman 78/100
- The Rise of The Iron Moon 78/100
- RailSea 78/100
- The Falling Machine78/100
- Camera Obscura 77/100
- Whitechapel Gods 77/100
- Agatha H and the Airship City 74/100
- Escapement 72/100
- The Horn of Ruin 71/100
- The Doomsday Vault 70/100
- The Buntline Special 69/100
- Ganymede 65/100
- All Men of Genius 33/100
SteampunkBooks.net – Best Steampunk Books Ranking
This is the best steampunk book ranking list on the web. There is a link for each Novel to it’s eBay listing search result. This is because eBay more often the not will have the book at the lowest price online.